Sports dedicated for our valuabble healthy
Web hosting
Unknown  /  12:54 PM  /  ,   /  No comments


More on Jackson: Hoiberg, Kerr to replace Jackson? | Curry speaks up for Jackson


Mark Jackson appeared on the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday to discuss his firing. The Golden State Warriors let him go on Tuesday after winning 51 games in his third season in the sideline and losing to the Los Angeles Clippers in a seven-game first-round series.


There was much to talk about, especially after Warriors owner Joe Lacob said in an interview that Jackson, beloved by his players, would need to "do a better job of managing up and sideways" at his next stop.


Jackson said that when he sat down with Lacob, he was not even sure what he wanted to happen.


"I'll tell you the truth," he told Patrick. "If we advance, do I still have a job? I'm not really sure because, at the end of the day, we both walked into the meeting and we both were frustrated. That's the crazy thing: nothing was leaked on my side, because I felt the same way and I had issues. I'm not sure if the best thing for me, going into that office, my mind was made up whether I was going or staying. So it wasn't a one-way decision."


Jackson addressed the drama surrounding his former coaching staff. In late March, assistant coach Brian Scalabrine was re-assigned to the D-League. In early April, assistant coach Darren Erman was fired after reportedly taping private conversations between coaches and players.


"Things had to change," Jackson said, and then he elaborated on how he felt undermined by ex-members of his staff.


"What happens is, in this business, you got assistants are people who all of a sudden see, if I say we should've did this and I say we should've did that, all of a sudden I might move up the charts," Jackson said. "So you create an environment where people begin to just give a little bit of gray area, and who knows? And that's not fair to anybody. And it's unfortunate, but there's a reason that what happened with my two guys happened. That's just a fact."


Jackson took issue with the picture painted of him. He disputed that his family living in Los Angeles reflected his commitment to the team, again denied that he banned Jerry West from practices and said that he got along with the basketball operations side of the organization.


"Quite honestly, I stay in my lane," he said. "What I mean by that is I have a boss. I have a boss and I talk to my boss and I deal with my boss. It's new to me, so I don't know how to dance with the business folks."


"It was a tough, draining year," Jackson continued. "Too many sources. I go into a meeting to discuss the job opportunity and, before I come out, it's been tweeted that I'm in a meeting and that I'm being fired. That's not how you do business. And you're worried about business relations?"


There was obviously a ton of tension behind the scenes, probably more than we know about. And with all the reports in recent weeks and months, we know much more than usual for this sort of thing. Golden State had a fairly successul season, but based on the comments coming from both sides, the situation was untenable.


Jackson said he had not been contacted about the vacant New York Knicks head coaching position, and that he won't be "begging for an opportunity." Despite all of the problems with the Warriors, it sounded as if he would've much rather worked things out.


"I had a lot invested," Jackson said. "I talked about it in my meeting. The unfortunate thing is the pregnancy happened, the baby was carried for nine months or for three years, they watched the labor pains and being in the hospital and somebody else is going sit there and be able to grab the head of the baby when it's born."





Basketball Hot News


Warriors contact Stan Van Gundy (and he sounds interested)


As expected, the Warriors have gone after Steve Kerr.


Also as expected, they’ve contacted Stan Van Gundy.


Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports:



Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.


Stan Van Gundy was on the Amani and Eytan show on NBC Sports Radio on Wednesday night sounding interested, as much as any coach says so publicly.


“I’m certainly willing to talk to, listen to, and I think from there you decide if both parties are interested in going further. It’s hard to say you’re interested until you sit down with people and I certainly have not done that with them….


“I think there are some positives with Golden State. As you say the talent level is there. Of the jobs that are open now they are clearly the most talented team out there. No. 2 you have a great, great fan base there, one of the best in the NBA . Number three, and I grew up there so I can speak to it, there aren’t many better places to live in the United States than the Bay Area in California. There are some positives and they are going to have a lot of people interested. I think it’s a matter of fit, that’s key in coaching jobs. It’s not going to work if there is not some common ground on philosophy.”


The search could take weeks, according to Sam Amick of USA Today. That should give Golden State time to pursue the third of its previously reported preferences, Fred Hoiberg.


After firing Mark Jackson, the Warriors need a strong replacement to win the trust of a locker room that supported Jackson. I think Van Gundy could be that coach.


He took the Magic to the NBA Finals, building a tough defense and efficient offense. The Warriors definitely need a coach who better takes advantage of their offensive strengths, something Van Gundy has shown he can do.


Van Gundy’s personality can also be grating over time, but that’s something to worry about down the road. Golden State needs a good coach now, and in that regard at least, Van Gundy fits the bill.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search