Sports dedicated for our valuabble healthy
Web hosting
Unknown  /  5:27 PM  /  ,   /  No comments

It was a long day for the Browns and Brian Hoyer last Sunday. (Getty Images) It was a long day for the Browns and Brian Hoyer last Sunday. (Getty Images)


Brian Hoyer remains entrenched as the Browns starting quarterback, even after his worst performance of the season Sunday against the previously winless Jaguars. When it was over, Jacksonville had its first win of the season, Hoyer completed just 16 of 41 passes for 215 yards and an interception, and Hoyer's wife invariably had to deal with the fallout.


"I'm just angry," Hoyer said Wednesday, via the Akron Beacon Journal's Nate Ulrich. "Even my wife says she doesn't even want to be around me. She doesn't want to be around me when we win, too, because I'm so critical.


She's like, 'You guys won.' And I'm like, 'I know, but I could have done this better.' Especially after a loss, it just lingers with you until you get a chance to come back out here and do something about it."



There was plenty of reason for pessimism following the loss (this fourth-down play was a microcosm of the afternoon for Cleveland) and Hoyer is taking it hard.


“Of all the games I've ever played, that's the worst I've ever felt after one, and it's something you have to deal with learning on the job,” Hoyer said. “... For the first time in my career in the NFL, I played a bad game, and it sucks. I take a lot [of blame] on myself, and that's why I probably wasn't pleasant to be around the past two days.”


The good news is that the Browns (3-3) have big wins this season over the Saints and Steelers, and the record-setting comeback victory against the Titans. And next they'll host the hapless Raiders (which is how we described the Jags heading into last week's game).


“Maybe it's good we lost last week,” Hoyer said. “I don't think we underestimated anyone. But I think now we see that no matter who we're playing, we have to be at our best, and there's no excuse and we have to go out and execute.”


God help us all if the Browns drop two straight. Because two weeks after it appeared Hoyer had the starting job sewn up for the rest of the season, we'll almost certainly be talking again about when rookie Johnny Manziel might see the field. If that sounds like an overreaction, know that the coaching staff briefly considered turning to Johnny Football against the Jags, though coach Mike Pettine said Monday that, "Brian is still firmly our starter."


“That's the farthest thing from my mind, so, yeah, I don't doubt that (Pettine) has my back,” Hoyer said. “But I also know that you have one bad game -- I don't think people are just going to be calling for your job already. That's just the way it goes, but I know within this building I feel more than comfortable.”



NFL Hot News


Report: Bills RB Fred Jackson will not play in Week 8 due to groin injury



Updating a previous post, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported Sunday night that Bills running back Fred Jackson won't play next week against the Jets because of his groin injury.Specifically, La Canfora tweeted that Jackson will be out for "at least two weeks" and will undergo an MRI on Monday. The Bills then have a bye in Week 9, and La Canfora said it's "possible" Jackson will play in Week 10 against the Chiefs. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport added that a four-week absence for Jackson is seen as the worst-case scenario.Jackson suffered the injury late in the first quarter of Buffalo's win over Minnesota, and he had to be carted off the field. C.J. Spiller and Anthony Dixon took over the Bills' backfield. Spiller recorded a 53-yard run on his only carry after Jackson's injury, but it ended with a broken collarbone that will reportedly doom his season.



I feel awful for Spiller. He's been a bust, sure, but he's been jerked around by Buffalo's coaches, who have no idea how to use him. Finally, he gets a chance to play following Jackson's injury, immediately rips off a big play and then ... he's done. One big break begets another.With both of Buffalo's top two running backs out for at least one game, Anthony Dixon and Bryce Brown are worthwhile pickups for those who need a back. Dixon took on 13 carries against the Vikings, but he's a standard-fare plodder. Brown, a former Eagles RB, has more upside. He's fundamentally unsound, but he's big and fast, and a comparison between him and Dixon in natural talent is not even close. Of course, the Bills made Brown a healthy scratch for each of their seven games after trading a conditional 2015 draft pick for him in May -- did I mention that their coaching staff doesn't know how to handle talented albeit flaws young running backs? Now the team has no choice but to make Brown active. He'll likely split carries with Dixon against the Jets, but he's worth adding 12-team leagues, and both players may see their value take a big jump up if Jackson's MRI reveals an injury more serious than is currently thought. The Jets' run defense has really shown some cracks in its past couple of games.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search